FREQUENT ASKED QUESTIONS – F.A.Q.
WHAT DO I NEED TO KNOW BEFORE HAVING THE FENCE INSTALLED?
You need to assess:
The purpose of the fence
privacy, pet or pool enclosure, property, etc.
Where the fence will be located
in existing location, new surveyed location, etc.
What type of fence you want
materials, height, style, features and accessories
When you plan to have the work completed.
HOW TO FIND A GOOD FENCE COMPANY IN THE HOUSTON AREA
So you have decided it is time to replace that old fence around your yard or add a new fence. Whether you are replacing an old fence or building a new one for the first time, there are many things to consider when making this important decision.
Things to consider when looking for a good fencing company:
- How long has the company been doing business?
- Does the company carry liability and workers’ compensation insurance?
- Get two or more recent references, which you can drive by and view their workmanship first hand or speak with the owners.
- Get at least two or three other bids, so you can compare not only price, but which one offers the most value for the money.
- Find a fencing company that will come out and take measurements and discuss options before giving you a price, because you will need to have an accurate estimate to make a good decision.
- Get a written contract so you know the total you will pay before work begins.
- What are their payment terms?
- What is their warranty?
- What is the estimated time of completion?
Where to find references:
The best place to start asking about fencing companies is your family, friends and especially your neighbors. Other good sources of references include other contractors, management companies, and HOA. Your Home Owners Association may have restrictions on what kind of fence can be built, as well as colors. It’s always best to find out this information before you begin construction. They may also require you to submit plans, colors and an estimate to their architectural committee for approval before you begin.
Good questions to ask references:
- Were you happy with the quality provided by the fencing company? Everybody has their own ideas of quality, so you should take a look at their fence and judge for yourself. Pay attention to see if the fence posts are straight. Are there visible cracks between the boards that should overlap? Do the gates operate properly?
- How does it look…visually?
- If painted or stained, does the color look consistent?
- Does it feel solid?
- Did the fencing company clean up after themselves?
- Did they remove the old fence, and leave the yard clean after doing the work? Did they pick up nails or screws from the yard? If you are left to clean up after them, this will cost you more time, money and frustration.